Barrio Café in the Coronado District with Minnetonka


Hey guys, Felix and I are right in the middle of a little stay-cation. We've made a tradition of taking time off on our birthdays (mine is close to 4th of July, and his close to Thanksgiving), so right now we're living it up and having the best time together.


On Friday we took full advantage the slight overcast in the afternoon and ventured out to do some location scouting. It was so hot out, but that didn't stop us. We of course ended up in one of our very favorite spots-- right in our neighborhood.

Barrio Café is a tiny gem. We love to visit on Sundays and listen to live music during brunch. The man behind the guitar sings classic spanish songs that were frequently on rotation on the family record player growing up, so I always feel right at home. If you don't stop in for the music, stop in for the guacamole. Hands down, the best in town.

Our favorite feature, by far, are the murals that adorn the entire strip and surrounding alleys behind Barrio. They were commissioned in 2010 by Barrio Chef Silvana Esparza as part of a project called Calle 16 (Barrio is located on 16th St, hence the name) founded right after SB1070. Not to get all political on you guys, but these murals tell an amazing story of cultural struggles that hit very close to home.


Alright so I'm way off track here; let's talk about the outfit. Like I mentioned, it was so, SO hot out. I opted for a geometric print skirt. The skirt is on heavy rotation this summer; it's stretchy and thin, but doesn't lose its shape through the course of the day. I paired it up with a flowy tank top Felix found at Ross a couple of weeks ago. My favorite thing about this top are the cut-outs in the back, which of course we forgot to photograph. Oops! Last but not least, my blue Minnetonka Thunderbird II moccasins. Another Summer favorite. Felix thinks I need a Minnetonka intervention ... with more than several pairs and counting, I'm afraid there's no stopping me. They are the best shoes!

0 comments:

Web Stats
Portable defibrillator